Monday, December 1, 2008

What I willed into our house


OK. I know it doesn't look like much. And the pegboard...well, I could always take a leaf of Kat's page and cover it in paper, but hey, it's a book display shelf! As a librarian, I know how much more appealing outward facing books are, and I wanted a better way to strew our large selection of books, as well as ones checked out from the library. I'd been looking at them on various sites, dismayed by their hefty price tag ($150 and up, not including shipping). Bret said he could make one (with Papa G's Shopsmith) if I could figure out the dimensions. But that takes tiiiiiime. And I really wanted this now. But I didn't want to spend the cash.

In steps Portland Craigslist to the rescue! I found a garage sale that said they were moving, and selling lots of furniture. (I'm also looking for an inexpensive art materials cabinet, inspired after reading (well starting) the book The Creative Family.) Bret took the girls to Laurelhurst park, while I drove to the sale. I had to "sneak up on it" as I'd forgotten my piece of paper with the address, thanks to numbered streets and some great landmarks (parks/playgrounds) I didn't get too lost.

The first thing I see is the pegboard display (which, Bret assures me he can modify to have even more display shelves). Did I mention it also has some shelves in the back, and it has wheels? And they were selling it for...EIGHT DOLLARS. I also found 3 bulletin boards for $2 each, and two folding tables for $25 for the set (a 6' one for my sewing room, and a 4' one for art projects downstairs). Dang. I love a good yard sale.

And, I love thinking about something that I'd really like to have, putting it out there, and having it find me. Very cool.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it, but it seems incomplete. Perhaps a pair of red windpants draped sensuously over one side? Sensuosly.

Carolyn said...

oh la la! I love it...

hi, i'm kat. said...

ooh, i love the pegboard! i saw a jewelry display (someones personal collection) today on a blog on a huge piece of pegboard. you could paint the background. nice find!

peggy said...

Very cool book display thing! Craiglsist can be a wonderful thing.

You're a librarian? Also very cool.