Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Whole New Mind

My friend (and Jackson High School art teacher) Meggan told me about this book...I'm only 80 pages into it, but am finding it very interesting and thought provoking. Click on the title of this post to visit Mr. Pink's webpage.

Publishers Weekly says of it: "Just as information workers surpassed physical laborers in economic importance, Pink claims, the workplace terrain is changing yet again, and power will inevitably shift to people who possess strong right brain qualities."

I especially like the story he shares of one of Hallmark's premiere artists visiting elementary schools and commenting on the art he saw in classrooms. When he asked kids in kindergarten how many of artists there were in the classroom, almost all of them raised their hands. When he asked the same question in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. grades, fewer and fewer kids raised their hands, up until 6th grade when not a single hand went up. How sad! But not surprising...

I recall recently a little girl at the library coloring table telling Sabine (who was coloring in a pre-printed sheet with an apple tree on it) that the apples in the tree had to be red, and the leaves had to be green...(I was glad to see that Sabine didn't necessarily follow this advice). I mentioned that sometimes apples are green or yellow, and that leaves on trees change color...but it didn't seem to impress the girl, who I assume has been told in no uncertain terms that apples are red, leaves are green, etc. YIKES!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Yeah, I had a kindergarten teacher tell me the stems on my flowers were too fat. I'll have to blog about that one ...