Thursday, October 30, 2008

You do the hoky poky


I have a new favorite cleaning tool. OK, well, seeing how much I dislike cleaning, you can take that for what it is.

But.

Our new home has solid dark color carpets. Everywhere. (Don't get me wrong, we LOVE the Purple Palace (so named by my friend Memet). I found in the first week or so that I was pulling out the vacuum every 2 days. And that's just...wrong, IMHO.

So.

I spent a few weeks looking at "discount" stores (i.e. Target, Fred Meyer) for a non-battery operated vac. Apparently, people feel intimidated at pushing something weighing less than 3 lbs. without some power. Whatever. I wanted nothing to do with something that needed to be "recharged" or constantly filled with batteries. I also didn't want to have to purchase bags for the thing.

Therefore, when driving down the road the other day and saw Stark's Vacuum outside my driver side window, I stopped.

They had three "stick" style vacuums. I had to pass on the less expensive one that kept falling apart every time I picked it up (it even fell apart on the salesman...he laughed).

I went with the smaller model Hoky (it's made by Oreck), and couldn't be happier. Unless I had a cleaning person come to my house on a weekly basis...but that's probably a long ways off...

5 comments:

helen said...

i love it! love it! now if we could just find an equivalent starks vacuum shoppe we'd be made -truly, we need el hoky for our nasty dark reveal-every-last- speck-of-anything-including-the-white-hair-of-our non-shedding-dog-carpets that were bequeathed to us in our house. oh, and we have an archive of wallpaper too. can ya find me a speedy tool to deal with that?:)

Carolyn said...

You crack me up! Yes...the joys of solid carpeting...We are lucky on the wallpaper front, at least -- nary a speck in sight! Unlike our last house that had green floral wall paper on the ceiling of all places. And the bathroom had turquoise and brown paper that looked like Aztec throw up. Also switched to white paint. I recall a tool from the hardware store that poked tiny holes in the wallpaper, so that when you squirted a vinegar-water mixture on it, it soaked below to the glue...but I make no promise about my memory! Good to hear from you...when are you coming this way? :)

hi, i'm kat. said...

aaah, a good vacuum cleaner. we bought a cheap-o (but not the cheapest) they had at target last year. the only part i can use is the hose, i have to vacuum all of our rugs with a freakin hose!! it was GREAT seeing you guys this weekend, and great hanging with the unschooling gang. :) looking forward to this weekend!

Beachbum said...

I used to love the one we had as a kid. However, after working in the food service industry and using one, it kinda lost its appeal...I wasn't too keen on what I had to clean out of it! Now, however, we may need to find one for our floor...and maybe the kids would love to 'walk the dog' as we used to call it.

Hey, as an aside, great Sarah Palin song performance!

Carolyn said...

Yes, the contents are RIGHT THERE (unlike a bag vac...) but still loving it. ;) Thanks, had fun at non-con! And what a great election day/night!