Monday, October 13, 2008

Holy Crepes!

I hadn't eaten a crepe since my first winter in Jackson Hole (1992, if you must ask), when the unfortunate folks who, in marketing their "Tram Car Crepery" forgot to put an expiration date on their "Free Crepe with Coupon" that was printed in the paper. I rode the bus to work every morning that winter, and newspapers typically had holes in them where the crepe coupon was printed. I must admit, I made many of those holes, hoarded more than my fair share of coupons, and ate many-a-crepe on my way to work at the Kinderschule (the Swiss-Mountain-Chalet-Inspired name for ski-daycare. Now, Jackson Hole markets itself as a Western Mountain Town...so the crepery is a thing of the past...sigh). I thought crepes were exotic, a food I never experienced growing up in the mid-west...and didn't realize how easy they are to make...

Ok, so it was Sunday morning (I had woken up at 5 am, and after tossing and turning for almost an hour, decided to go downstairs and just be awake...the crepes recipe said to let it rest an hour before cooking, so this was perfect)...the pictures aren't great, but take my word for it...crepes are both easy and yummy. For Alton Brown's recipe, see the "What we've been eating" section below right on this blog. (BTW, I still recommend the Turkey Meatball Escarole (I use chard) soup...we've had it multiple times since moving.)

I must admit, I was inspired by Amy over at Angry Chicken for the crepes...(as with many other things, but only just recently unpacked the sewing machine.)

I was feeling exceptionally lazy, so I threw some frozen blueberries, maple syrup and butter in the pan I had cooked the crepes in...and made some kind of filling...served them with full fat (why would I use any other kind?) yummy yogurt. I cooked them in a stainless steel pan, just put butter in before each crepe. They slid out beautifully. Next time, however, I would make the filling in a small sauce pan.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Qarin said...

I looked at the first picture and thought, "oh, yeah, crepes! My mom used to make those and I think maybe they're not that hard!" so I headed off for a recipe search and came up with an Allrecipes.com basic recipe; then Amelia came over, asked what it was so I told her, and she wants me to make them, so ha, already had a recipe. But it's 11:30pm, so maybe tomorrow. I'll probably use the recipe you linked to, anyway. :)

Miss you all, hope to see you soon.

memetopia said...

I have been waiting for a crepe recipe to fall into my lap for a long time now. We used to make crepes using an electric crepe maker (a convex heated teflon form that you dipped into the batter) when I was a kid. It was brilliant. As well, The Creperie (which exists no longer), in Edmonton, was my favourite pick for a special dinner out with the family. Now I can try to make crepe memories for my kids on my own... Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

I remember the free crepe coupons! Whatever happened to the crepe guy?

Anonymous said...

I remember the crepe car - whatever happened to the guy that ran it?