Monday, December 21, 2009

New holiday tradition

I love Chinaberry.com. When our house sale in Wyoming closed, I ordered the perpetual advent calendar pictured below. The box sizes are varied, so you could put actual small treasures in them, but we've been doing it like a treasure hunt. Each night after Bret gets home I put a note in the appropriate date and give the girls clues to where they can find that day's prize (an edible treat/holiday book/tickets to see a holiday show/a $1 bill for each girl/etc...). It's been a really fun way to count down to Christmas, and to get to know some of the nooks and crannies of our new home.



Of course, we've also enjoyed the chocolate-a-day calendars that Uncle Brian and Aunt Livia sent...Vivian ate all her chocolates on day 2...not Sabine, she takes this stuff seriously.

4 comments:

memetopia said...

This is very cool. i remember you showing me this, but I never got to hear the full story (I wonder why...). I just did a treasure hunt with my kids They would kill for one daily. Hmmm.

Carolyn said...

I remember you telling me about your treasure hunts -- maybe that is what inspired me! :) Has been fun...

sarah said...

hi carolyn, it's kat's friend sarah... and i lovelovelove advent calendars with pictures. when we were little we got the chocolate ones, and then i found an old with pictures my mom had saved from her childhood and thought it was the most magical thing ever. congrats on your new house! and on selling your WY house. we are still pondering a move to the big P but having a new little pea makes us stay outside the other little p (philomath) sorry getting cryptic, because i'm the big PG! (pregnant.) happy 2010! kat and i have a date for spring craftywonderland since we both missed winter... did you go?
peace,
s

Carolyn said...

Thanks Sarah! Congrats on being PG! Exciting! I missed Winter Craftywonderland so for sure want to get to the spring one...see you then...