Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Goodbye...


...sweet friend Catalina.

We had our mobile vet euthanize Catalina yesterday at 1:30 at home. She had been having a tough time off and on for the past few weeks (vet suspected cancer of the spleen, but figured x-rays may or may not confirm it, and at her age (2 months shy of 16 years) and in her condition, the x-rays might have had a negative impact on her health). As some of you know, she also went through a rough bout of vestibular syndrome this summer, when we thought it was the end.

Apparently, having "Cat" in her name made her think she had 9 lives. :)

She ate a chicken dinner on her last night, and Bret had slept with her on the floor a few nights before (when she was having a tough time...but she "bounced" up in the morning to have another coulpe of good days). She got to take a some good trips to the coast this summer, and always had a wag in her tail and an excitable bark. Espeically when playing in the sand. She will be missed, and joins many of her dog (and cat) friends beyond.

Interestingly enough, our mobile vet was also the vet for Cynthia Rylant when she lived in Portland, and he euthanized one of her old dogs. She is the author of Dog Heaven and Cat Heaven -- beautiful books about losing a pet -- and numerous other books. Now I just need to find where I put my copy of Dog Heaven...

19 comments:

Zenmomma said...

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}} to you all. Dear sweet Catalina. On to bigger and better beaches to dig I'm sure. <3

Carolyn said...

Thanks...yes, big sandy beaches with lots of interesting things to roll in. :)

Cap'n Franko said...

We're thinking of y'all.

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Frank!

Ronnie said...

So sorry, guys. I know being prepared for it doesn't really make it any easier. Give each other hugs from me.

Carolyn said...

Yes, even though we thought we were "ready" for it, it still sucks! Thanks for the hugs...

balloonatikmama said...

Oh you guys, huge love! It took months and months for us to stop bursting into unexpected tears after we had to put Trapper down just before Fergus was born. But we tried to give ourselves space to be real with it, it was truly that big for us. So give yourselves a break, cry when you need to, dance when you can't cry, and remember that doggie heaven is all about sand and sticks and in Trapper's case anyway, rice krispie squares! Love you, miss you, and wish we could hug you.

Carolyn said...

I know...it will be with us for a while...Catalina was with us for longer than our marriage (so far, grin)...my mom tells the story of moving on a military base the day after our family dog, Willa, was put down after 12 (or so) years and bursting into tears in all these various military offices...

Thanks for your sweet words...

Carolyn said...

Now I'm trying to remember...don't think Catalina ever got rice krispy squares! next life...

memetopia said...

Pure..

Friend
Sister
Companion
Garborator
Alarm
Doorbell
Guard
Furball
Huntress
Excavator

Purely...
Missed

Carolyn said...

Once again, you put it just right, Memet. I am saddened for the loss of our furry friend, and the state of my floors now that Catalina will not be around to pick up the crumbs! Garborator indeed!

Guildy Pleasures Podcast said...

I just saw this. I am so sorry she is gone. She was beautiful and funny and the best tunnel digger ever!!!

Carolyn said...

Thanks, kwyr-sis! She made us smile, laugh, and scream (on occasion...but really, more smiles and laughs). She's in our hearts.

hahamommy said...

I'm so glad I got a chance at some Catalina Love recently ♥ ((((((((hugs)))))

Carolyn said...

Catalina enjoyed you too, Diana! :)

Jessica Huber said...

Carolyn I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I was so glad I got a chance to meet Catalina- she was such a sweetie and I am sure had such a lovely life with you all! Much love to you!

Carolyn said...

Thanks, Jessica! I'm glad you got to meet her too...she was a special doggie!

Anonymous said...

Oh...I didn't know about Catalina. My heart is with y'all. She was with you for a LONG time (just one year older than Caleb is).

Remember my cat Allegro (Alley). He lived to 21. Saw me through the end of high school, college, various boyfriends, chasing men across the country, getting married, having Caleb and buying my own house. Makes you wonder about those pets like that, doesn't it? Love, love to her and to you guys. Caroline

Carolyn said...

Caroline - I DO remember Allegro! I think perhaps he snuggled with me a few times back when I lived with you and Richard (man, does that seem like a lifetime ago!)...Our kitty Cisco is 17, no wait, I think he will be 18 this fall! He's seen it all, too...they are special, these long-living-fur-friends.

So good to hear from you. I think of you often, and hope we can reconnect in person sometime in the near future.