Friday, December 21, 2007

Some interesting quotes from Grace Paley

I just finished reading the book Just as I thought (well, honestly, I skimmed over the last 1/3, but I really enjoyed the first 2/3!), essays by Grace Paley. She was born in 1922 and died in 2007 after a battle with breast cancer. In addition to being a writer, she was a political activist.

I especially liked the following quotes:
I don't think the thing for me has been civil disobedience so much as the importance not asking permission. For instance, we had kids in our public school who had trouble reading or writing. A few of us just got together and said we'd better go ahead and help out. We suspected that the principal wouldn't want us around. So we simply went into the school and scattered ourselves among the teachers and began to work with the kids. It's true that three months later we were kicked out, but we got a lot done, and methods and forms were created so parents could come back and be useful. People will say to this day, "How did you women do that? Who did you talk to?" We didn't talk to anyone. We just did it. So I can't say it was civil disobedience. It was just an effort to make change by making change. We talk a lot about living in a free and democratic country but we're always asking permission to do very simple things.
and

[She was in jail as a result of attending a protest, and heard women singing and long song and wanted to write it down because she didn't think she cold memorize it, but she had no pen or paper.]
...Which is how I finally understood that I didn't lack pen and paper but my own memorizing mind. It had been given away with a hundred poems, called rote learning, old-fashioned, backward, an enemy of creative thinking, a great human gift disowned.
This second quote makes me think of all of the time I wasted learning "things" that someone else thought I should "know" -- and grateful for the things I've learned that have been useful, like music and sewing and writing. The first quote reminds me to be brave, and not give away my rights, I'm thinking especially as they pertain to my children and family.

3 comments:

lijhe said...

Oh, I love that. So true: "We talk a lot about living in a free and democratic country but we're always asking permission to do very simple things."

But the second part -- she's advocating *for* rote memorization, right? That because she wasn't made to do rote memorization (because it is "an enemy of creativity") she lost the ability?

Carolyn said...

Hmmm...I'm re-reading it now...

"Which is how I finally understood that I didn't lack pen and paper but my own memorizing mind. It had been given away with a hundred poems, called rote learning, old-fashioned, backward, an enemy of creative thinking, a great human gift disowned."

I took it to mean that she finds she cannot memorize things SHE wants to memorize, because she had to memorize so many things that were useless to her...

I too, dislike memorization for memorization's sake, but like the idea of memorizing things that are useful (song lyrics for a performer, lines of a play for an actor, cool facts about topics I want to support (breastfeeding, natural birth, homeschooling, etc).

Thanks for making me think more about this...I'm curious how others interpreted this quote...other thoughts anyone?

Sarah said...

I grew up in Hong Kong and memorization was fundamental to all institutional teaching...ASIANS are not known as creative! For most of my life, I believe it. Thanks for a thought-provoking read, Carolyn.

Blessings,
Sarah
traveling
www.fairystitch.blogspot.com (the other me)