Friday, November 9, 2007

The Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List

(Click on the title of this entry to view the list, from Secular Homeschooling Magazine) OK, so this is a little blunt. But dang it's funny. We don't get all of these questions, because Sabine's so young, but I've heard a lot of them...and would add a response to the question we have heard a lot, "So...just how long are you going to homeschool her?" I usually just say we're not worrying about later...just trying to enjoy it now...but I'm thinking there could be a better response. Suggestions?

Two of my favorites on the list are:
11. We didn't go through all the reading, learning, thinking, weighing of options, experimenting, and worrying that goes into homeschooling just to annoy you. Really. This was a deeply personal decision, tailored to the specifics of our family. Stop taking the bare fact of our being homeschoolers as either an affront or a judgment about your own educational decisions.
and
17. Stop saying, "Oh, I could never homeschool!" Even if you think it's some kind of compliment, it sounds more like you're horrified. One of these days, I won't bother disagreeing with you any more.
Read and enjoy!

1 comment:

bluesky said...

I find this to be very funny! We get asked all the time (still) and we are going on our 5th year. I now simply smile. We have family in Jackson, I stumbled across your blog after I set one up for our family to view. I would think living there it would be easier to homeschool. So many great places to go and see! Anyway, thanks for the article post.
bluesky, Montana